Saturday 3 May 2014

Cheeky Monkey Hat



Cheeky monkey hat

I made this hat for a good friends baby in time for winter. I used the hat pattern that came with my teddy set (pattern here) and the rest I made up using google and pintrest for inspiration. I doubled up the yarn to make the hat extra thick and warm, although this also made it a bit more stiff and less stretchy.
Monkey face

For the face and ears I knitted a series of circles; 2 x tan and 2 x white for the eyes, 2 x tan for the ears and one large oval for the mouth. I sewed these on and used some scrap black yarn to make the pupils, nose and mouth. I also stuffed some polyester filling behind the mouth to make it stand out.
Pom poms
I made two pom-poms and attached them to the strands on the ear flaps, so if these were in the way for the baby they could be easily cut off. 
Cheeky monkey
I was really pleased with how this turned out and it has encouraged me to experiment and have a go even if I don't have a pattern. It also means that it is one of a kind and even if I made it again it would look different.


No comments:

Post a Comment