Wednesday 10 September 2014

When a Project Goes Wrong

I am sure it has happened to everyone; you spend a considerable amount of time on a project, it goes wrong, you try to save it, but inevitably you have to admit defeat and unravel the entire thing.

I found this beautiful crochet Summer Sprigs Lace Scarf pattern which was made with one ball of fine lace yarn. I thought this would make an excellent gift for my friends birthday, and if it only used one ball of yarn, then it probably wouldn't be too big a project...


I didn't have any lace yarn, but I did have quite a lightweight white yarn, and so used that, also my hook was a little larger than suggested, so I had a second ball of yarn but in pink, which I thought would be good to do the edging in.

It started off well, after a few attempts I understood the pattern and happily spent a few evenings crocheting in-front of the TV as my scarf began to take shape. To start with I was happy with the piece, it actually looked very lacy and pretty.


Unfortunately I ran out of the white before I got to the edging, but I had spent quite some time working on it, so I thought maybe it would still look ok if I colour changed half way... but then after a few more rows I ran out of the pink and I STILL hadn't got to the edging!

I added in another white, I think I knew at this point it just wasn't going to work, as the two whites where slightly different shades, but I was determined to get the project finished, even if just for experience.



I finally got to the point, ready to start edging, and proudly picked up my scarf, only to realise the point was not in the centre! Some how I had only been decreasing alternate rows on one side, so I had a scalene triangle shape. I didn't even take a picture, I just started pulling the thread and watched my multi-coloured mess disappear.

I'm not going to lie, I was relieved to stop working on it, because I knew it was never going to turn out the way it was supposed to, but I was disappointed I didn't end up with a beautiful scarf. I will definitely attempt this again in the future, but next time I will make sure I have the correct yarn and hook.


2 comments:

  1. Ah, it is always sad when you have to frog a project that was nearly finished, but as you said, at least it's a very good learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lesson was learned, I will look forward to completing it properly next time. Thanks for the comment :-)

    ReplyDelete